Sunday, June 3, 2007

Paris Day 2-The sites

After sleeping in, Morgane and I headed out the door to hit the sights. I couldn't have a better guide (or host for that matter--The flat is big and in a great location, she had a week long subway pass for me when I arrived--both of which barely scratch the surface of her hospitality that she has extended to me).
We took the sub to L'Arc de Triomphe, then walked down the Champs Elysee-stopping at a patisserie, Ladurée, along the way. Morgane introduced me to the house specialty-Macaroon. Ive had macaroons in America but those fall miserably short of Ladurée's treat. As most of you know, I consider myself an expert in the dessert arts (tasting at least), so it's no weak praise when I call the small, simple confection perfect.
I'm a bit short on time so I won't wax on every detail of my day. I did see the sight: Eiffel tower, Notre Dame, etc. The one let down being my expectation of a building where the Bastille stood and not just a monument where it once was. Kind of disappointed and a little embarrassed that I didn't know the building wasn't there anymore. Scattered amongst our walk through the city was an early afternoon stop at a café for refreshment and recharging (smoking is allowed virtually everywhere and blows my mind)and an even later afternoon lunch off Louis XIII Square (just steps from Victor Hugo's home). A more lovely spot to eat a Croq Madame can't be imagined. My time here has definitely been a fairy tale so far--a surreal dream that has yet to sink in yet. Perhaps it's the lack of responsibility, lack of "real" life that makes this trip such a peaceful waking dream.
My time here has been so thoroughly authentic. We partook in the sacrament of Paris, the cinema, tonight as well--there was no popcorn, candy, cokes for sale--no lobby for that matter (this experience has granted no end to the revelations).

2 comments:

Derek said...

You obviously don't remember mama's macaroons!

PL said...

If she made them I dont remember them resembling these.