Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Opera Garnier



Sunday night Morgane and I went to the Opera Garnier to hear a chamber music concert. For the most part I am tone deaf. So while I enjoyed the concert (Strauss & Beethoven) I think that someone who knows the difference between F Major and B Minor might have enjoyed the music more. The concert hall on the other hand absolutely captivated me.

Hands down the coolest venue I've been to (Red Rocks being the closet competition). At the Opera Garnier everything is so compact that there isn't a bad seat. Unfortunately enough the operators of the venue take the "equality" part of the French motto to heart. Which means that despite having box seats we had to sit on the same stuffed wooden chairs as everyone else. They looked as if they had been there since 1777.


To top it off (no pun intended) there was a mural on the dome ceiling by Chagall. Even though it doesn't exactly mesh with its surroundings it still seems to work.

All in all it was a very adult way to spend a Sunday evening. Many thanks to Zoe for the wonderful present.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The opera Garnier was inaugurated in 1875. Hence, the chairs may possibly date back from 1875 (though I doubt it), but not from 1777...

Bruno, Paris