Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Moviegoer

As an avid moviegoer I've turned into a "know-nothing." I like to have as little information as possible about a movie before seeing it. Previously I read reviews, I talked incessantly to people about movies, and generally tried to be "informed" about the particular film I was going to see. Expectations were created.

With each film I watch I realize how important my expectations are and how they alter my enjoyment. I went from an avid review reader to an avid avoider. I must say I'm the better for it. As a reviewer you have a tricky job, you teeter on the bring between revealing too much or too little. Some don't even attempt to walk the line between the two and choose to stick to mere plot summation. There are no surprises for the moviegoer. It leaves one in a somewhat paradoxical situation. How do you "find out" about a movie without creating preconceptions?

Again, Seinfeld (The show never fails to be applicable)
The Rye Episode-
George and his parents are over at Susan's parents house for dinner. After an uncomfortable exchange between Frank and Mr. Ross about chickens, George tries to change the subject to "Firestorm." Frank takes exception to George and Mr. Ross talking about the film because he hadn't seen it yet.

MR. ROSS: It doesn't have anything to do with the plot!

FRANK: Still! Still! I like to go in fresh!

Take the latest movie I saw-La Visite de la Fanfare (The Band's Visit). It was a gem. Time and again the movies I see "fresh" offer enjoyment whereas movies that never lack a shortage of praise fail to deliver (two examples: Lost in Translation, 40 Year Old Virgin). Raised expectations create an unattainable goal.

In an attempt to live by the laws I want others to abide by I try to keep my praise of a movie limited unless specifically pressed. I've instituted the binary scale in my life for other less auspicious reasons so it might as well be put to use for movies. 1=You should see the film 0=You should not see the film.
La Visite de la Fanfare=1

No comments: