Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Of Floss and Fowl

Of late there has been quite a bit of turbulence in the private sector of French enterprise. The populous seems to be chaffing under the economic stress of the nation. This unrest has reached a fever pitch recently with strikes at a Miko ice cream factory (they "kidnapped" their manager) and a Ford plant while L'Oreal workers took to the streets. To top it off there have also been strikes by supermarket cashiers, hairdressers, Taxi drivers, and airline workers over the past month. The reasons brought forth for the unhappiness generally include the high cost of living and the loss of purchasing power. All of this has been compounded by the sinking approval ratings of Sarkozy. The displeasure stems from the failure to enact the campaign assurances of reversing the economic stagnation of France. Many feel that this failure can be directly attributed to the distracting nature of his private life.

This past summer I had noticed that things tended to be more expensive than in the states but regarded it as "normal" and never gave it a second thought. I try to stay abreast of the news and had noticed the strikes. Being a bit cavalier, I dismissed it as the spoiled sense of self that seems to afflict the nation at certain levels. Reality came crashing down today in the form of 21 euros. Within a span of minutes, what I had dismissed as "their" problems became mine.

I wanted some dental floss so I stepped into the pharmacy downstairs. Six euros later I had dental floss. To compound the problem I was informed by Morgane that only "old people" use floss. Apparently nine out of ten dentists here fail to recommend flossing each day.

The entrance to the apartment has the pharmacy on one side and a boucherie (meat market/butcher) on the other. Just outside the entrance to the boucherie there is a rotisserie filled with beautiful chickens that I have to walk past each day. I have a weakness for rotisserie chicken but had somehow made it these past few weeks without ever buying one. Today, however, the poulet was calling my name.

I stepped inside and with the best French I could muster ordered a chicken. 15 euros. This shop is a bit on the fancy side but 15?! In a matter of minutes I dropped 21 euros on dental floss and a chicken.

Which way to the barricades?

2 comments:

emily said...

love the post. i'm proud of you for buying floss, even if it did cost you 6 euros. (once you get back to the states, if you need some, i can get you some for really cheap!) i know, i'm a big dental nerd! :) hope you're having a blast!

PL said...

I'll be hitting you up for free floss and fluoride frequently...That's a lot of Fs.