Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Cluny and The Cops

After a long day working in front of the computer Morgane accompanied me on a visit to the Cluny (Musée National du Moyen Age/Medieval Museum). Neither of us would ever claim to be a lover of Medieval art but I was curious to see it and it was free.

The Cluny is on the Left Bank next door to the Sorbonne. It offers three distinct architectural features within the larger framework of the museum. There is the 15th century Gothic mansion that housed the Cluny Abbey seen above), Gallic-Roman baths from the 3rd century, and a medieval style garden that surrounds the outer portions of the building. There were countless items of interest, everything from swords and jewelry to tapestries and religious shrouds. As historically minded as I am I found most of it pretty interesting. Our bus ride back to St. Lazare, however, provided the most entertainment.

I love riding the bus in Paris. This is largely because I am a looker. I love looking out the window at the city. When I've driven in Paris I'm usually too nervous to let my gaze wander like I might in America. On the bus I'm able to see things with the freedom I'm not granted as a driver and at a different angle than when I walk. Rolling through the city streets, I stared out at the city while chatting idly with Morgane.

As we turned right on to Rue Royale I noticed police men gliding by in the opposite lane. Emitting a "what the hell" I jerked my head back and said, "you have Rollerblade cops?" Police men on roller blades! This blew my mind. I of course bombarded Morgane with questions about why, how they were effective, etc. Apparently they aren't the type of cops who arrest people or write tickets. They are community cops out there to strength relations with the people, to help forge a bond with the young people, and to make the neighborhood feel safer. Maybe I'm alone here but having cops on roller blades in my neighborhood wouldn't ease any safety fears I had.

Do we have roller cops in American cities? Did I miss the creation of these tactical units? I have a hard time seeing them as a viable tactical element in most American cities (except maybe New York). Not because they would be made fun of (though I would think that would be an issue) but as a result of grass. It seems like there is a lot more "green space" in most American cities. If you're a crook making a getaway all you have to do is get off pavement and the roller cop is screwed. I've never been much of a skater but it seems like the efficiency they might offer on the sidewalk or street is completely reversed once you find a park. Just make sure you escape before the backup arrives.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Rollerblade equipped police seems like a pretty silly idea. Then again, in America we have the Segway-riding cops -- not much better.

PL said...

Segways?! Where?