Monday, February 18, 2008

Comfort for the Ailing

It's been a slow transition back into "life" here in Paris since I returned from Morocco. I picked up a bug at some point in my travels. My inclination to put pen to paper was severely hampered these last few days by my illness but I seem to be emerging from it finally. Though it wasn't an experience I would label as fun (or any other word resembling it), being sick did allow me to catch up on the happenings of the U.S. sporting world.

Desire for "comfort" or "home" is at least a reticent issue for most when they are away. These desires are heightened to extraordinary levels when ill. This was so much so for me that I even began reading about the NBA. Like many Americans I have at least a general interest in basketball itself but I rarely put much more effort into it beyond sports center highlights. Reading articles about shifting power balances in the league, trade rumors, and general league miscellany as a very casual fan highlights how much I needed the reassuring comfort of home.

The biggest ray of sunshine to warm my woozy weekend was the official end of winter. Paris is refusing to reflect this turn of events as of yet but Spring Training has officially begun. I will spare you my baseball ravings for the moment but not my ravings on weather.
One of the things I thought I missed the most when living in Austin were the winters in Arkansas. Living in Paris during the winter has altered my mindset a bit. In Arkansas (and America in general) you might have winter weather that is generally as cold if not colder than Paris. However you are less likely to be in the weather on a day to day basis. We get from point A to point B with heated cars, only stepping outside to go from car to building. Here point A to point B includes public transportation and actual walking before reaching the destination. As a result Paris is actually colder.
I'm far from a weatherman (calling Scotty B and Radar Wittenberg for help here) but there seems to be less sunshine here as well as bitter winds. Both of which help generate an overall feeling of coldness. What all this rambling is building towards is the fact that I don't know if I want winter in my life anymore. Al Gore aside, I think my brother might have the right idea in south Florida (where distaste for winter outweighs fear of hurricanes).

I'm sorry I don't have much beyond this to relate at the moment. Even life in Paris is a little slow when you're sick.

No comments: