Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Cynicism in America

What does it say about our civilization when we have put such a high price on honesty? I tried to come up with an interesting and tangible explanation to why I've been relatively silent/inactive this past week but couldn't. The reality is that my inactivity in life carried over to inactivity of pen/mind. It's honest and that has to count for something. It has to count for something. (Isn't honesty McCain's selling point and main source of popularity?)

When did we stop expecting honesty and start expecting lies or half truths? I always hear Watergate thrown out there as the occurrence that changed America, a loss of innocence. Watergate supposedly woke America up to reality. Taking liberties with the English language: it signaled the "cynicification" of America.

Today is supposed to be the day that decides the Democratic nomination. Votes are being cast in Ohio and Texas that will decide the fate of the Clinton campaign. Throughout these past months I've waffled back and forth on what candidate I preferred but today I can tell you that I hope the voters of both states add to Obama's growing mandate.

Along the way it dawned on me that, as a man and a candidate, what Obama offers with his promises of hope and change is as much a vision of the past as it is a paean to the future. His message, more than anything, seems to offer a way to shed the cynical shells we wear as Americans. I concocted many stratagems to avoid what I felt deep inside me--the urge to support Obama. Among other things I told myself that his policies weren't clear enough, that the 1-2 diplomatic punch of the Clinton's would right the wrongs of the world. I was fighting the urge. I was too proud to support a..."feel good" candidate.

His campaign seemed to deny reality. I couldn't stomach that.

Cynicism is a hard thing to shake but at some point I realized that denying reality was exactly what was needed. A reality where honesty comes as a surprise, a reality of hardened cynicism, is a reality that shouldn't be stomached.

An Avett Brothers lyric seems to apply: "So if ever someone says to you, life isn't fair, get used to it. Then you should say 'Well it might be if folks like you would let it be."

4 comments:

Loretta Flower said...

bravo, pete.

(this is mary kathryn)

PL said...

thanks MK!

(this is Peter)

Mike said...

"paean to the future" For everyone else who had to look it up...paean is a song of praise or triumph.

How do these words pop into your head? Maybe I just need to read more books above a 5th grade level.

Anyways, I agree Obama kicks ass and I "paeaned" his cause while caucusing for him this evening. He inspired me to get off my tail and do rather than watch.

-T
ps keep the vocab. lessons coming

PL said...

Hah, glad you dug that word. It's probably one of my favorite words in English...
Glad you got off your tail too.